Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Learning On Your Own.

A lot of learning about flying you must do on your own and every flight is a learning experience. I recall learning that even though the winds were west to east at Tucumcari one hot Sept. afternoon when Avgas there was only $1.33 a gallon, the local FBO said to use the north south runway even though the wind sock was almost flat out.

This was going to be a real test of my crosswind ability. First, I accepted the runway and the challenge. Then I began to stabilize the approach but the air was bumpy and this was difficult. The second thing I did was use only 10 degrees of flap to land a bit faster but have more control effectiveness. The third thing I did was aim for the upwind side of the runway so I would have room to drift a bit if I ran out of rudder and aileron, which I did.

The only thing I had left was power which I used to keep the nose over the runway. Mercifully, the wheels finally chirped, grabbed some pavement and I was able to keep my plane out of the runway lights and weeds. It was a good refresher but I found out later that the gal operating the radio at the FBO just "picked" a runway. I could have used the east west runway.  

Some of these techniques came from the aircraft performance manual, a bit from experience and and little from bravado. By that I mean I didn't want to sissy out and ask for an easier runway to land on. I know I've tried to land at airports where the wind easily exceeded me and my aircraft performance and believe me, you can't wish your plane onto the runway when nature says no.

No matter where you are in your flight training envelope, basic written instruction has to be overcome. You have to get your written exam completed. For that, check out joepilotecourse.com for your written study needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment